Russian KV2: German soldiers examine an abandoned steel monster from the 4th mechanized corps of the Red Army. Eastern Front, Operation Barbarossa.
Abandoned due to a malfunction of the KV 2 tank in the technical park of the repair base of the 4th mechanized corps of the 6th Army of the South-Western Front.
In the corner of the photo, the drive wheel of the HT-26 light tank (a flamethrower chemical troops tank on the T-26 chassis), from the 68th tank regiment, delivered to the repair battalion on June 25, 1941 due to a faulty engine.
July 1, 1941 the city of Lviv was abandoned by the Red Army units, faulty equipment was abandoned due to the impossibility of recovery and evacuation.
Tank KV 2 – Soviet heavy assault tank of the initial period of the Great Patriotic War of the Soviet Union. The abbreviation KV means “Klim Voroshilov” – the official name of serial Soviet heavy tanks of the release of 1939-1943, named after the hero of the Civil War in Russia, military and political leader Voroshilov Kliment Efremovich. Originally called “KV with a large turret.”
Sources of photo information:
Location: Lviv, Ukraine
Photo Time: July 1941