The American cruiser Milwaukee (launched in 1923) was transferred to the USSR on April 20, 1944, instead of the Italian cruiser Duca d’Aosta, which was retreating to the Soviet Union as a result of Italy’s reparations after its surrender. The cruiser was renamed Murmansk. On March 16, 1949, the cruiser was returned to the US Navy and sold for scrap on December 10 of the same year.
Place of photo: USSR
Date of the photo: April 1944