Sgt. John C. Clark&S/Sgt. Ford M. Shaw from Company E, 25th Combat Group, 93rd Division of the United States are cleaning their M1 Garand rifles near the East-West trail to Bougainville Island.
The 93rd Infantry Division of the US Army existed in 1917-1919 and was re-established in May 1942 (disbanded in 1946). This division was called “colored” because of the large number of black soldiers in its composition.
Location: Bougainville Island
Date: 04 April 1944