The French destroyer “Lion” was scuttled on November 27, 1942 by order of the Admiralty of the Vichy regime, in order to avoid Nazi Germany seizing ships that were stationed at the naval base of Toulon.
In 1943, the “Lion” destroyer was raised by the Italians, repaired and incorporated into the Italian fleet under the name “FR-21”. However, on September 9, 1943, the Italians again flooded the port of La Spezia after the surrender of Italy.
Source of photo information:
Location: Toulon, France