Children of the liberated Russian city of Zhizdra – Raisa and Gennady Shcheglov.
Zhizdra is a small ancient town on the bank of the river of the same name in the south of the Kaluga region.
The first mention of Zhizdra dates back to 1146.
Since October 5, 1941, the city fell into the German occupation. From February to August 1943, on the outskirts of the city, fierce battles again took place. Before the retreat, the Nazis systematically destroyed the city for two weeks, burning it. Stone churches and houses exploded. As a result of these actions, the city was completely destroyed. Wells were also poisoned with drinking water, roads, sidewalks and kitchen gardens were mined. The able-bodied city youth was forcibly sent to Germany.
Location: Zhizdra, Kaluga Region, USSR
Date: August 1943
Author: Mikhail Savin